Guide to Pillows
Soft, Medium, or Firm?
Your sleeping position helps determine how much support you need.
- People who spend most of the night sleeping on their stomachs need a softer pillow. Stomach sleepers only need the most gentle of support to allow their heads to sink to the right level.
- Many people sleep on their backs, or spend at least part of the night in that position. A pillow with medium support will help back sleepers to keep their head and neck aligned comfortably.
- People who sleep on their sides face the challenge of filling a larger gap between their head and shoulder. For this reason, side sleepers generally need a firm pillow.
Pillows can be filled with natural down or feathers, a synthetic fiber, or memory foam.
- Down refers to the soft plumes taken from the underbelly of geese and ducks. Feathers are stiffer than down, having the quills that provide a firmer support. Feathers and down are resilient, can be re-fluffed, and provide a natural buoyancy. A soft down pillow is ideal for stomach sleepers. All of our down and feather pillows are certified to be sourced responsibly. Read more here.
- Down alternative fills are synthetic fibers made to mimic natural down. They are completely hypoallergenic, and easily washed. A down alternative pillow can be filled to soft, medium, or firm densities. Some down alternative pillows also feature a gusset around the side which helps the pillow to keep its shape.
- Memory foam pillows use the latest technology to provide different levels of comfort, and can be formed in different shapes. The memory foam pillows we offer are specially engineered to keep you cool. Some are available in a contour shape, which is often recommended for back sleepers. Memory foam adjusts to the shape of your head and neck as you move.
Wisdom of the Ages
We've been selling pillows in our neighborhood stores for decades. Our customers have told us what works for a great night's sleep. Here are a few suggestions.
- Most Popular: Soft yet supportive, hypoallergenic, great for stomach/back sleepers
- Natural Support: Firm combination of feathers and down, great for side/back sleepers
- True Luxury: Premium White Goose Down, available in Soft, Medium and Firm
- Engineered for Excellence: Contoured Memory Foam supports back/side sleepers, the iCOOL Technology System keeps you cool
- Affordable Down: A favorite for its gentle support, great for stomach/back sleepers
- Budget Friendly: Hypoallergenic Down Alternative Sensorpedic SofLoft Pillows in Medium (stomach sleepers), Firm (back sleepers) and Extra Firm (side sleepers)